Thursday, December 3, 2009

Throwback Thursday!

Clerow Wilson Jr., known professionally as Flip Wilson, (December 8, 1933 – November 25, 1998) was an American comedian and actor. Time magazine featured his image on their cover and named him "TV's first black superstar". During the 1960s, Wilson became a regular at the Apollo Theater in Harlem and was a favorite guest on The Tonight Show, Laugh-In, and The Ed Sullivan Show.
When I was in the third or fourth grade I remember our family first getting TV Land and my Mother, Father, and Grandmother was watching the Flip Wilson Show. I was amazed that in the early 1970's Flip was able to have his own reality show that featured black and white music artist. Also through this show I was able to see comedians like Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor. If it was not for the success of the Flip Wilson Show who knows if there would have been a Richard Pryor Show, In Living Color, Chappele's Show, or Wild'N Out. I later read that George Carlin was a writer on the Flip Wilson Show. Flip had many characters but none is more infamous than Rev. Leroy and Geraldine.


No comments:

Post a Comment